WRITERS, EDITORS, PUBLIC RELATIONS, COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST and BUSSINESS EXECUTIVES (ON A RETAINER BASIS)
Mogadisgu-Somalia, Juba- South Sudan, Nairobi/Nakuru-Kenya, Arusha/ Dar es salam-Tanzania, Kigali, Rwanda/Burundi/DRC,UK, South Africa, Ghana, Nigeria, US, CanAda, Australia, Dubai, UAC, India.
Application Deadline :
Editorial and Marketing & Communication and Public relations Consultanta
Type of Contract :
Business Agency Contract
Post Level :
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract :
One year on retainer basis
Expected Duration of Assignment :
One year on retainer basis
The Development Analyst Ltd is an international organisation providing a wide range of consultancy services to several clients in the Private Sector, Governments and International Development Agencies Please click here www.devenalyst.com to read Capability Profile details.
It has a Strategic Development Communication and Management Centre (SDCM) that conducts trainings and technical support in various fields in conjunction with institutes within and outside Africa Please click here www.devenalyst.com to read Training Programme Details. It also publishes monthly regional Magazine and quarterly Shopper’s Guide – The Development Analyst that is distributed in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan.
The Development Analyst Ltd-International is looking for Bussiness Agents in Nairobi, Kenya. Kigali, Rwanda; Juba, South Sudan; Arusha, Tanzania; Mogadishu, Somalia; Juba, South Sudan, Abuja, Nigeria; Accra, Ghana, London, Canada and South Africa. Please click here www.devenalyst.com to read Publication Details
Context of the Assignment:
As an active service agency, The Development Analyst-International disseminate information to promote debates and dialogue and debate on Development, Investment and Business on a regular basis. The Development Analyst has recently established a quality assurance process for all publications. To assist in meeting the editorial and production standards in line with the new process, The Development Analyst is setting up a Roster of writers/editors/Bussiness Agents with experience in documenting , reporting and Analysis in the substantive areas of poverty reduction, democratic governance and economy, environment, water, and energy, agriculture, health, banking, capital and money market, ICT, Education to name but afew
In particular, the consultant is expected to work closely with the Communications Unit to produce a number of success stories (In English) demonstrating Development and Business impact on the ground. The stories shall be used on publications, web site, and social media, etc.
The consultant writer/editor shall report to the Publication and Communications Unit. Depending on the nature of the task assigned, the scope of work could include the following:
- Conducting research and writing compelling and impact-orientation stories, highlighting significant success stories by tracking diverse beneficiaries of Development partner’s support at the regional, national, institutional and community levels;
- Secure advertisements, supplements for the publications;
- Draft/edit the manuscript to ensure clarity, consistency and readability of the text for the intended audience;
- Under the guidance of the communications team, assemble all chapters/sections suggesting rewriting as necessary, adding/editing boxes of interest, tables and charts bringing the manuscript to full completion including all necessary components (table of contents, foreword, preface, introduction, tables, annexes, boxes, etc. depending on the product;
- Point out and correct factual inconsistencies, inconsistencies in arguments, political nuances, faulty logic, and awkward or unclear passages and suggest solutions;
- Ensure all references are in order, requesting source information for tables and figures when such information is missing;
- Ensure timely incorporation of timely feedback from internal and external peer reviewers into the draft manuscript;
- As appropriate, work closely with the consultant graphic designer to develop ideas for graphics and charts that creatively convey key messages/data in the manuscript; and
- Proof –read the final texts as laid out by the designer to ensure both text and associated graphics are error free and ready for printing
Budget and Timeline:
The duration of this Individual Contract (IC) will be one year on retainer basis, renewable for another two years according to the supervisor recommendation and as needs arise. The selected contractor will be contracted on a needs basis. Payment will be calculated based on working days of the contractor.
We are looking for a results-oriented, creative, confident and self motivated person who is able to work independently; follow through initiatives and meet deadlines; and is a good team player.
The candidate should be a passionate and skillful writer, excellent in written and verbal communications and is competent in use of desk top publishing software is preferred. Experience in using Adobe InDesign CSB is desirable.
We also require a person who is strong in advocacy, presentation, networking with media houses and negotiation skills. Competencies in use of computer and internet/information software provide an added advantage.
Required Skills and Experience
- The assignment requires one with a post graduate university degree in journalism.
- Creative writing and at least 5 years of proven record of working in the field of corporate and development communications with international organization.
- Understanding and experience of working in development, environment, poverty, crisis prevention, and governance and rule of law issues would be as asset.
- Native English speakers are encouraged to apply.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS (INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED):Interested individual candidates must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications strictly to firstname.lastname@example.org/info@ devanalyst.com or call +256-785360829/0700369829 strictly for clarifications and /or additional information:
- Proposal explaining why they are the most suitable for the work, drawing on their knowledge and previous experience
- Personal CV and at least 3 references with Passphoto attached.
- Photocopies of certificate
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- a) Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria weight: 70%
Financial Criteria weight: 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Criteria for evaluation of candidates:
- Story gathering, writing, proofreading and editing skills: 20%
- Experience in Administrative, Management and Public Relations: 20%
- Experience in working Private sector in reputable organisation : 5%
- Experience in Print Media outreach and global campaigns: 20%
- Having a network of journalists and Business Agents and Chief Executives covering Africa and Development news is an asset; 5%
- Multimedia skills ( website, social media, Audiovisual): 10%
- Knowledge and familiarity of African region and its key issues: 10%
- Ability to work as part of a multicultural team: 10%
The Development Analyst ltd-International is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.